Monday 5 March 2012

And now it's time for Osaka!

I visited Osaka 2 weeks ago. My mission in Osaka was rather special! I was asked to sing the Icelandic National anthem at the national soccer match between Iceland and Japan - Kirin Challenge Cup.
I was really surprised when I got this task because this is clearly not something that I had done before and at the same time I've never sung in front of such a big audience!

The audience was about 50.000 people at the stadium and then it was also broadcasted live in Japan and Iceland!
 

We took the shinkansen to get there - but that is the fastest type of train in Japan. It was my first time riding a shinkansen and I really liked it.  It's so fast and convenient. Up till now I've only traveled with night buses.

When we arrived in Osaka we took a train to get to Nagai stadium. I was rather shocked when we saw the stadium because it looks like a space ship and felt way bigger than other stadiums I've been to!

                  Outside Nagai stadium in Osaka

 My room!

I did a sound check on the stadium and I was thrilled. My voice has never sounded so big! It was amazing!
 Me and million people working in the sound check

After the sound check me and Villi had a nice time walking around the stadium, eating donuts (as I do every other day), having coffee and then I did a live radio interview in Iceland. 

The day passed, and soon the big moment was arriving!

I tried my best not to get nervous but it was kind of hard - i at least had a dozen of butterflies flying around in my stomach!

Just before walking out on the field. The coat is from a small shop in Harajuku called Good Morning House (that name is just too silly) and the dress underneath is also bought in Harajuku - Momo.

Then there was the big moment. It was like an adrenaline rush to sing in front of so many people, but definitely one of my most memorable experiences so far!

Nervous!

After my performance me and Villi watched the game from the VIP lounge. It was freezing cold but it was fun watching the game although Iceland lost..
Soccer time!

It was a great evening and I received so many heartful messages afterwards! It was truly amazing! 
Then we ended the night with other Icelandic people going to Izakaya and karaoke until the break of dawn.

More about our Osaka trip soon!

xx

2 comments:

  1. すげー。
    生放送を町田のHUBで見ててびっくりしたよ!(笑)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you cousin. Difficult song to sing and you did amazing in front of such a huge audience AND on live TV. Big kiss from London

    ReplyDelete